Friday, February 22, 2008

altered books 2


I managed to get two more spreads finished in my altered book this week. I learnt that it is not all that easy to stamp into an altered book, you will see my incomplete stamped images. In this first spread 'building up layers of stamped paint. I like the effect you get with this technique. The fluid colours used mixed with gesso is paynes grey, jenkins green and transparent red iron oxide mmmm I like this colour.
We also punched holes down the right side and inserted eyelets and wired in beads and charms.The second spread with folded pockets and stitched edges. Painted cobalt turqoise fluid mixed with gesso, thought the colour was too bright. a wash of transparent yellow iron oxide mixed into the turq and gesso gave a nicer aged look. When you are folding pages in this manner the age of the book will come into account, if it is too old it will just crack or split, not a nice look.

We got five new colours in Golden Heavy Body paints in the 60ml tubes to add to our range in the shop this week. Transparent pyrrole orange a lovely reddish orange and great for layering, C.P. Cadmium red dark very dense in colour will be great over a black gesso. Transparent Yellow iron oxide I really love these transparent colours they look so good layered over other colours to give richness of colour they also blend into each other well. Indian yellow hue a beautiful sepia type rich yellow which is also transparent. the fifth colour which I just adore is graphite grey, think dark lead pencil colour I have used it with black and white blending all three colours in some areas, then dry brushed interference gold in places these colours really excite me. I can't show you the small canvas I did with these colours as it was a gift and I forgot to take a photo. However it came up so well that i will be doing more and I will share it with you then. We also got some colours in the 119ml pots for those not finding the tubes are going far enough. Alizarin Crimson hue, almost what I would call a blood red and transparent, I havent tried it yet but can't wait to try this one. Manganese Blue hue hmm how would I describe this colour I think it leans towards the turquise bit hard to describe I really like it and blue is not a favourite colour for me. Now Van Dyke brown hue, think of old masters oil paintings, my favourite brown. Gold mica flake (small) the small denotes the size of the flakes, very rich gold can see a lot of potential in dimensional art for this product. We have also got some new, to us, Golden gel products. GAC 900 fabric painting medium which gives launderability to painting clothes it is also adding to paints for airbrushing and screenprinting. GAC 400 stiffens textiles and dries to a hard stiff film. Useful for stiffening unprimed canvas or sculpting and shaping fabric can't wait to try this in mixed media. Acrylic Glazing liquid in satin and gloss, extends the open time of acrylic colours. Airbrush medium designed to modify acrylic fluid for airbrush use. Works well on clothing without the need for heatsetting. All these mediums come in 236ml bottles. Silkscreen medium in a 236ml jar water based/non textile use. Designed to blend with acrylic paints for silkscreen application. Increases working time and retards paint from drying on the screen. Safe to use with minimal odour, so there you go for those of you looking for a silkscreen product.


I have included this image I like from a diva's deste disc that I purchased. I love old photo's that show the clothing worn in that period just look at those boots and what about the long socks, or are they stockings. the standing little girl certainly looks happy with how she looks , the wool coats and hats, I bet they where prickly. This photo just gives you a sense of time, its not a professional posed photo so you get the old box she is sitting on with the building in the background.


I will be unable to post for a week as I am going down south to the country, to stay with our daughter and her family and some much needed R & R. I will catch up with you when I get back much refreshed and ready to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely trip, Jacky and come back refreshed. Your altered book is just gorgeous.

juliaD said...

Hi Jacky,
I hope you have a nice break from your posting...
I have tagged you...see my blog
xx