Sunday, October 3, 2010

farewell dear friend

On return from my week in Melbourne, Alex our much loved Airedale had deteriorated and we had to have her put to sleep. I want to share with you some photo's of Alex, she was so much fun, a clown of a dog. Loved all other dogs, never heard her growl at another dog. She especially loved little dogs but i think she terrified them when she charged up to them and then towered above, but she would hanker down to their level to say hello. When we went out anywhere the first thing we would do was to see where Alex was, she slept inside up until about a year ago, was terrified of thunder, in her last couple of years though she went deaf and could no longer hear the thunder. She was friends with everyone, and especially loved Tess (Kirsty's deceased now, border collie), Tess hated all dogs and thought Alex was a particular pain, she would get in Tess's face and when Tess bared her teeth at her she would just swing her back end into her as much as to say come on, get over it princess....She looked such a noble beast just after being bathed and clipped, probably lasted for about a month before she started getting woolly again. This was her come play look. With Joanne, gee this was about 10 years ago, how time flies......And mum's girl, she was my constant companion, just looking at these photo's of her has brought a lump to my throat. Yes she was spoilt, but that is what you have pets for. She would have been 14 next month which is quite old for a big dog, and up until about a year ago she still thought she was a pup and acted like one. She hated being slowed down with her back legs slowly paralysing. Now she's in heaven, and Tess is probably thinking "Oh no, I thought I'd got rid of you" R.I.P Alex we miss you ....

I will get back on my blog in the next few days and share with you my trip to Melbourne and the Golden's Teachers Workshop. I had a ball.....

4 comments:

nina said...

Oh honey, i have all too recently been there. Only a dog lover would understand the.magnitude ot such a loss, the passing of a family member. I am so glad i had the chance to meet and know alex. Sending kuch love - xoxo

lilylovekin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Having just lost our Lily I understand your pain. Pets are so precious and dear to our hearts. I'm glad you had so many good years and memories with Alex. My thoughts are with you. Lorrie

Shane Pollard said...

Dear Jacky
I'm so sorry to hear about your darling Alex and what a beautiful girl she was.
It's a terrible thing to lose a family member.
I love airedales too and hopefully once things have settled and you've done your grieving maybe you'll look at getting another.
Take care
Shane

Corrine said...

I'm so sorry Jacky,
I've said goodbye to three dogs now. They are such a gift while they are with us.