Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Red Lentil Dahl for my sister

This is a lovely Dahl recipe I got when on one of my dumb diets (giving that lot up) (all of them), it is very versatile and as a vegetarian dish it goes a long way.
SOUTH INDIAN RED LENTIL DAHL
ingredients
1 med onion chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tbsp ghee (found in supermarket, butter bi product, great for these recipes)
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt (all dried)
1 fresh chilli chopped fine
2 cups of vege stock (I use 1 tbsp dried stock and add 2 cups hot water to dissolve)
1 can coconut milk (approx 375 gram)
1 can crushed tomatoes (I use a couple of fresh tomatoes chopped up)
1 plus half cups dried red lentils well rinsed under cold water (they will all stick together)
1 to 2 cups diced fresh vegetables
1 cup loose pack fresh coriander (to serve)
fresh lemon or lime juice (to serve)
Cook onions in ghee until soft add ginger and garlic, cook 2 mins
add dried spices and chilli, stir well for 1 min (fragrance is released, smells delicious)
Stir in stock, tomatoes and coconut milk.
Add lentils, stir, cover pot and simmer 5 mins
Stir in veges and simmer until veges and lentils are soft (about 15 mins) I tend to overcook but still tastes good
check for flavour and add more salt if needed
Serve with fresh coriander and squeeze of lemon juice

If you have a Indian friend, they may advise you on how authentic this recipe is and how to improve on it.  I find the flavours mild and fresh which suits my palate.  
I divide it into 6 separate meals and freeze 5 for later use, just heating through to cook.  I like to add fresh chopped or sliced vegetables like cabbage, celery, capsicum etc
Enjoy and let me know what you think. Anyone else with a favourite Dahl recipe please share.
Slow down and smell the roses
Jacky xo

1 comment:

Shane Pollard said...

Hi Jacky
I'm going to try this recipe!

I left a comment on your weddings post but I got an email to say it was rejected.....

Hi Jacky
I love weddings and seeing your photos makes me all nostalgic!!!!
Both the brides look lovely - hard for a bride not to look lovely!

But hey I love the design of your dress Jacky - did you make it or is it off the peg??? Can be dressed up or down - just what I like too!

How long have you been in Oz.

I'm off for my afternoon nap - it's hot in NZ this afternoon and I've been giving my kitchen cupboards a major clean all morning -I'm wacked!

Happy happy New Year - wishing you lots of JOY and happiness in 2013!

hugs
Shane
PS Hope you're safe from the bush fires - I haven't seen WA mentioned.