Saturday, July 5, 2008

recipe for spaghetti and meatballs


I recently tried this recipe from Jamie Oliver's book and with a few additions found it very nice, easy to make after work and economical about $5 for 2 here in Australia.
ingrediants
raw italian sausages (I use one for each person)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes ( I use Italian products I think they taste better than Aust)
clove garlic
fresh herbs (in the recipe he used bazzil, I have used sage and it tastes good too)
balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt and black pepper to taste
olive oil to cook meatballs
spaghetti noodles
put spaghetti noodles on to cook while preparing meatballs and sauce
cover bottom of frypan with oil and heat on moderate heat, when hot squeeze small amounts of sausage meat from sausages into frypan, I make mine about the size of cherry tomato, you dont need to shape them into balls, leave as they are squeezed out.
While meatballs are cooking, turning frequently to cook all sides, chop up garlic and herbs smallish, then throw in with meatballs and let cook until garlic slightly browned.
Add tomatoes (for two people I use only half a tin and freeze the other half) stir.
Finally I add a good splash of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of brown sugar as I like my tomatoes a bit sweeter. Heat through, by this time the spaghetti should be cooked.
Drain spaghetti and put into bowls, spoon meatballs and sauce over top and eat.
bon appetit!
You can add parmesan cheese on top, John hates the smell of parmesan so have to put it on mine before taking it to the table.
With rising food prices I am looking for healthy, economical meals. I am also trying to cut down on the amount of meat I use, preferring to get good quality ie organic and eat less of it. It does concern me the antibiotics that is in chicken and meat, fortunately we have organic meat shops and a shop whose chickens have had no antibiotics.
Anyone out there in blog world that has recipes that fit that criteria please email me and share it with others.

No comments: