Thursday, December 8, 2011

homemade protein bars

 John likes to take a muesli bar each day with his lunch, I was concerned about the ingredients that are in the bought ones not to mention the quantity of sugar.  So being the good housewife decided to have a go at making my own.  The recipe I found was in the Where Women Cook Sept/Oct/Nov 2011 magazine from Stampington.  following is the recipe I used with my modifications.
                                          Wild Honey Bran Protein Bars - Krystina Castella
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice [I use mixed spice)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups bran ( I use a mix of bran, rolled oats and phsylum husks]
put all these ingredients in a big bowl and stir to combine

1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
1/4 cup dried apricots chopped[I use more]
1/4 cup dried cranberries chopped
1/2 cup blanched almonds [I use fresh walnuts chopped]
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
Add to the bowl and stir around with your hands to coat with the flour mix

1 cup unsweetened applesauce ( I cook up a grated granny smith apple which doesn't break down)
1 tbsp honey [I add this in with the apples while cooking]
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp vanilla extract
I mixed this lot up in the pot when the apples where cooled a little bit then poured into the bowl with the flour and fruit mix and combined well.
Line a 9 x 13" baking dish with baking paper and spoon the mixture in, I press it down with my hands as it is rather sticky to get it evenly spread.
Put in preheated oven 150 degrees for about 30 mins.
If you look real close you will see that the raisins on top are a bit burnt, I had the oven too hot in the magazine the fruit and nuts are sitting on the top which is pretty, but hey, all goes down the same way.  John likes them, at first he thought they could be a bit sweeter but has got used to them now.  You can probably tell if you have the magazine I am not too good at following recipes, if I haven't got certain ingredients I will substitute.
I photographed this rose in the garden at the front, its called Julia and is a lovely coffee colour and is particularly lovely this year, must be all the rain we had over winter it fades out to a cream colour.





No comments: