Friday, March 28, 2008

Project Vintage Romantic silk and satin Journal

At the moment I am in the beginning stages of a vintage romantic journal that I am designing. Lots of vintage laces, ribbons, buttons and vintage ephemera. This project is not for the time challenged, as hand stitched ribbon embroidery, making fabric paper etc are time consuming. I find sitting in front of the television at night a good time for this
Above is a part of the collection I have been saving for this project. The chipped metal drawer handle and name holders will go onto the silk fabric covered front. The lovely crochet glove will be inserted on one of the inside pages perhaps holding a handwritten letter. The etched silver watch case below the old photo has glass on the other side perfect for a lovely sepia photo, maybe attached to the side of a page peeping out from the ribbons and lace.

Laying out a page to get a feel for the balance and symmetry, I do this a lot, these pages can sit like this for weeks, whereby I will move things around from time to time. The book I am using is a reproduction victorian photo album with floral images surrounding the cut out for the photo. I cut all the pages out and use them as a base. Can you see the vintage laces the wide one on the left side of the page is very old and a lovely sepia colour. The ribbon on the right of the page will maybe have shell buttons sewn along its length. The photo's are my mum as a bride on the left and the other is my dad holding me. the photos in the background on the left are printed on soft cotton and will be embroidered into a page somewhere. I am hoping you will be interested enough to come back and see the progress of this journal, I hope to have it nearly finished to take to the Melbourne Art Retreat we run in May and will possibly teach a class on a smaller version at next years Art Retreat which we may run in Sydney.

No comments: